McCray’s Smyrna & Lawrenceville Taverns knows good beer
With so many tantalizing brews from which to choose, stepping into a well-stocked local tavern for the first time could be a bit overwhelming. Add in the more specific categories, such as ales and lager and the choices become even more involved. However, when visiting some Atlanta taverns or bar and grill locations, be sure to keep an eye open for some of these great local offerings.
1. The 420 Extra Pale Ale from SweetWater Brewing Company is one of the region’s most popular brews. It is a relatively low alcohol pale ale that tastes great with everything wings to fajitas.
2. Red Brick A-Town Brown from the Red Brick Brewing Company in has been around since the early 90s. The beer is a light bodied, cloudy dark beer with a frothy head and sugary nose. It is known for its nuttiness, hints of chocolate and caramel and an earthy taste that definitely demands that one sit down and enjoy its flavor.
3. O’Dempsey’s Big Red Ale is available in taverns and bars all around Atlanta. This beer is a dark chestnut color with a rich caramel smell. In fact, though it is a beer, it has been compared to a porter or a stout. As you drink it, you will appreciate the floral and fruity notes in the malt mix.
4. Want something exotic? Then be sure to look for Theophan the Recluse from Three Taverns. This is an imperial stout beer and one of Three Taverns’ most unique offerings. Made from a Belgian yeast strain, Theophan the
Recluse has strong notes of dried fruit and subtle spice. It is one of those great beers that taste better as it warms, so don’t be ashamed to take your time drinking it.
5. Based in Athens, Creature Comforts Brewing Company’s Athena is light beer with citrus notes. It has a 4.5% ABV and has been dubbed, “The Champagne of the South”.
These are but a few of the numerous beers you will want to try as you make your way to local bar and grill locations such as Mccray’s Tavern. The flavors range from light and fruity to rich and chocolaty, and no matter your preference, you are sure to find one you like, so come to Atlanta and start tasting your way around the town.